Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Denial

Denial will do you in every time!

There was one part of my brain where I was just not thinking about it. How fat I was getting. How awful I felt all the time. How bad I looked in my clothes.

It was like I just couldn't process it.

Even though it was with me every waking moment somehow I just tuned it out. I almost had to. Otherwise the dissatisfaction would have driven me to distraction.

Not action, just hopelessness and despair....Oh, wait... I lived there for a while, too.

Sitting around the house in sweat pants and a t-shirt you don't have to think about it, but the moment you want to leave the house - for anything - it becomes a problem.

What to wear to the grocery store? What to wear to the business meeting? What to wear to a party or concert?

Nothing looks good.

Nothing.

And I would tell myself: remember this.

Remember this frustration the next time you want an order of french fries or a slice of cheesecake.

Yet somehow, the denial won out every single time.

Some part of me would say: "Ok, just this last time. And I will start my new eating plan tomorrow." Or, "I'm going to swear off sugar and starches completely - indefinitely - so I can have this today because the weight will just melt away when I give it all up for good!"

Ah...the lies we tell ourselves, right?

2 comments:

Dredfoxx said...

This is where I am. Where I have been for so many years. I languish in the agony of being overweight, even though every one says I "carry it well", even though not one single person would ever guess that I weigh as much as I do.

I have so many clothes that simply do not look nice or fit right because I have done nothing to lose this weight. I have a few clothes that I don't mind wearing and that do not make me look like a busted open can of biscuits, so those few are in constant rotation.

*sigh*

So finally about a month ago I started AGAIN on an exercise regimen, and AGAIN on a sensible eating plan.

I can see the results but as you mentioned, this is going to have to be a lifelong journey, not one that ends at a certain weight.

blackrussian said...

Thank you for commenting. Unfortunately I am still there.

It's two months later and you can call me Cleopatra....