Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Recommended Reading

45 minutes; 2 miles; 300 calories

The same way I've done with my Sisterlocks blog, I've decided to pass on articles of interest that relate to weight loss and women. Because I have had so many body image issues of late, I found the following article to be a good read and thought my would appreciate it as well. From Newsweek: Why Women Lose Weight - Or Don't.

Incidentally, today I came home from the office at noon, changed into my workout clothes immediately and did 45 minutes on the treadmill. I walked 2 miles and burned 300 calories!

Yay for me!

I did not work out yesterday. I just let time get away from me and before I knew it, it was 1:30 a.m. and I really needed to get to bed, but I decided not to let it get me down, and not to beat myself up about it. I have told myself that while it is my goal to workout each and every day, I should recognize that sometimes that will not happen and I should not belittle myself or let it discourage me entirely.

I will simply make it a point not to skip two days in a row without good reason (like illness - simply being tired or not making time are no longer acceptable excuses.)

I will still be checking in regularly and updating, but I will not be recording my weight just yet. I never minded to weigh myself daily before, but once it got up over 150 (and stayed) the weigh-ins began to get terribly discouraging. I am now focusing on what I eat and my exercise routines.

I will post my weight again when I get into a more pleasing weight range and see more results - trending down. I just started exercising in earnest a week ago and I can already feel changes in my body. My muscles feel like they've been used and my body moves more easily. Still huffing and puffing on the treadmill, but if I stick with it, that should go away within the next couple of weeks.

Needless to say the January half-marathon is out, but I still have participation in a marathon as as a long-term goal. I just have to pick another date and a different city...stay tuned.

But I was saying...I feel changes in my body, but they are not showing up on the scale and I am not putting too much stock in the numbers or how my clothes fit just yet. I will see where I am in 10 more days. I feel like will take at least 2 weeks for my body to get used to the new program because I have been lazy and eating poorly for so long.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though you may not see the changes on the scale you are noticing positive changes in your body, which is more important.

My philosophy is it doesn't matter how much I weigh as long as I can fit in my ideal size pair of jeans.. Because a lb of muscle takes up less mass than a lb of fat.

Keep up the good work!

Goodnapps said...

Well it's good to know you are getting back to the program. Stay focused and you will achieve your goals.

muslimahlocs said...

you can still participate in the race. walk, don't run. do as much as you can, then stop. or attend, and just watch. it may be another source of inspiration for you.